I don't make a buttload of money as a fitness celebrity, grinning ear to ear or looking tough or sexy on a DVD cover. In fact, I'm in my 40s with sagging skin, wrinkles, cellulite, stretch marks, and much, much more.
I suppose I'm flying in the face of convention. I'm also at a point in my life where I'm all right with that.
I'm not going to pretend I have all the answers; not even close. I'm a writer, not a doctor.
I'm also not going to tell you that working through physical, mental, or emotional struggles is easy. Wesley from The Princess Bride nailed it when he said, "Life is pain... anyone who says differently is selling something." We live in this world, which is imperfect, flawed, sinful, and, yes, painful.
It sucks and sometimes the best we can do when that pain is unbearable is find our way through it. Then, we can use what we learn to help others up so they, too, can move forward again.
That is what I want to offer here. I want to share what I know and have learned, to help you move forward. I want to give hope. I think I would be ignoring God's call to all of us to love and minister to others with a spirit of compassion if I kept what i've learned and experienced so far under a bushel basket.
I know what it's like to:
- Feel stuck - even despair - because of health issues, and not know where to find support.
- Try - and fail - over and over again in attempts to eat right and stick to a fitness plan... not just once, not twice. Try so many times I've lost count, and for decades.
- Wake up and instantly bombard yourself with shame the minute you look in the mirror.
- Carry around rage because of past wounds by others... and even against yourself.
- Wonder if you'll ever know what it's like to feel peace, or joy, or plain old relief from your suffering.
Are you ready for that change? Then let's begin.